To the right at the top of the stairs the madam had a door to her room that ensured that she was aware of patrons coming and going and was aided in that endeavor by a door buzzer under the third tread at the base of the stairs. Her room was bigger than the standard rooms for the ladies as a bonus for her duties as the business manager. Towards the rear of the building off of either side of the hall, were four of the five standard rooms, or ‘cribs’ for the girls on the low end of the pecking order. Each of the rooms was ten feet by ten feet in size and allowed room for a bed, armoire, table and chair and while these rooms were large compared to the tiny spaces often provided in this profession, they were smaller than the two rooms allotted the best gals of the house.

Having worked their way up to the front of the house, the best gals were entitled to the largest rooms in the house and first shot at the regulars to the brothel. The ability to hang out the front windows and attract the attention of the passing cowboys, loggers and railway worker was a great advantage for the soiled doves in these front rooms and a great marketing tool for the bordello.


The lively crowd on the first floor is now made up of diners, the oak beamed ceilings and solid wood flooring accent the brick and plaster walls to create a warm, friendly retreat in the heart of the downtown Historic District. The former saloon has been upgraded to a full menu restaurant featuring home style comfort food… morning, noon and night. The Grand Canyon Railway’s train still departs daily from across the street but now art galleries, shops and great restaurants are scattered throughout the neighborhood along historic Route 66.

(800) 328-1484

Grand Canyon’s Bordello and Saloon

August Tetzlaff, a German merchant tailor, appeared in Williams around 1895 with a set of plans for a first class, two story bordello and saloon. By building his yellow brick Victorian  Romanesque style building across from the Grand Canyon Railway station, he hoped would make his fortune when the rail line was completed to a silver and copper mine to the north of Williams and then on to the Grand Canyon.


The architectural plans were designed to separate the two floors completely, including a subfloor layer of cork to provide soundproofing and an enclosed staircase from the front street. A great deal of thought was put into the layout of the second floor bordello to ensure a smooth operation. The layout featured a central parlor room at the top of the stairs with couches and a cook stove that made this a social center for the gals as well as a place for the cowboys to make their pitch for companionship.